Thursday, September 10, 2009

2nd-Generation Immigrants, Lend Me Your Ears!

Here's the million dollar question, are you ready for it? When you're a second-generation immigrant, how American can you be without losing yourself? I mean, what's the give and take? What are you willing to lose from your heritage to assimilate into the average American twenty-something?

My answer: very little. I am Egyptian, and yes, I am related to the pharoahs. But most importantly, I'm Coptic Orthodox. Americans' lack of knowledge and familiarity with us--unless you are a theologian, that is--has caused this 2nd generation immigrant to hold tight to her religion, culture, and ethics.

I can't say the same for all Copts in America though. Some are tired by the typical questions (So, where are you from? Egypt, huh? So you're Muslim? No? Coptic Orthodox, what's that?) and hide behind the American facade.

However, at the beginning and end of every day I have to look at myself in the mirror. And I wouldn't be able to if I ignored my Coptic complexion.

But I would be lying to myself if I didn't admit to being somewhat affected by being born on US territory (I'll give you a hint: it's the land of sex, drugs, and reggae) and raised in a suburban area in the States. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is who I am.


If you want to check out a film that explores the same difficulties of identity and assimilation, I highly recommend renting The Namesake. It's about an Indian family, not Coptic, but Kal Penn and Irfan Khan give remarkable performances. Until I can figure out how to embed a video here, please check out the trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOaA-4Y8tI

No comments:

Post a Comment